This is a recipe from the files of my dear friend Lois Yates. She was the mother of my best friend in high school – Jody. Each year, for Jody’s birthday, Lois would make tacos for Jody and all her friends. I believe when the tradition started, there were 14 of us, but as the years passed, spouses and children and grandchildren were added until we sat at multiple tables in multiple rooms! They were the absolute BEST tacos you ever tasted! Hot tacos filled with meat, beans and cheese arrived on our plates, one after another, until we were stuffed! Optional toppings included shredded lettuce, seasoned diced tomatoes, and this YUMMY RED SAUCE – which was my absolute favorite! This tradition continued, without lapse, for 30 years, until Lois passed away in 2006. Jody allowed me to take some of Lois’ treasured recipe cards, and this was one I took. I adjusted the quantities a bit – as Lois made HUGE amounts – but this revision met with Jody’s approval! Enjoy!
|Yummy Red Taco Sauce|
- 2 – 10 oz. cans Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce – hot
- 1 – 10 oz. can Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce – medium
- 1 – 8 oz. jar Kroger taco sauce – hot
- ½ of an 8 oz. jar Kroger taco sauce – medium
- 1 can original Rotel tomatoes
- 2 – 6 oz. cans Contadina tomato paste
- 8 bay leaves
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Combine all ingredients in 2-3 quart saucepan and mix well.
- Simmer covered, over low heat, 2-3 hours.
- Serve hot.
- Cool before storing in airtight jars.
You can adjust ingredients if this is too spicy by using medium where hot is suggested, mild where regular is suggested, etc. We just happen to like rather spicy foods! So be forewarned.