Moving can be a lot of work, but with organization and planning, it becomes much more manageable. Here are a few simple tips to get your started in the right direction. They may seem rather obvious, but trust me – it’s the obvious things that often get overlooked!
- Start gathering boxes NOW! Liquor stores are a great place to get nice, heavy, partitioned boxes.
- Be saving Styrofoam peanuts and packing materials from packages you receive in the mail. Purchase an inexpensive plastic bin/container to store all of this in so you know where to find it when you need it.
- Purchase an apron from a local home improvement store – the short waist kind. Wear this whenever you are packing. Buy a couple just in case you have help! In the pockets put the following:
- Sharpie Marker – for labeling boxes
- Packing tape – for sealing boxes
- Scissors/Box cutter – for cutting the tape, or splurge and get the packing tape on a dispenser that cuts the tape for you!
- When labeling the boxes, keep in mind that they will get “stacked” one on top of the other. So don’t put your label on the TOP of the box, or it will get covered up. I like to put identical labels on each side and on each end of the box, that way, no matter how the boxes get stacked or placed I can see the label.
- Don’t pack what you don’t use! There is no reason to pack, move, and unpack items that are not being used now. Set up a couple of large, but lift-able boxes, marked “Give Away”, and when you come across an item that is just taking up space, put it in there.